Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mexican chorizo Pizzas

These little pizzas make a great easy meal, or terrific appetizers!
This recipe serves 3 as a meal (everyone gets their own pizza), or 6 as an appetizer.

Red and Green Salsa (recipe below)
8 oz Chorizo sausage
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese (you may alternatively use 8 oz of 'mexican blend', which is a combination of Cheddar and Monterey Jack)
3 (10 inch) flour tortillas

Prepare Red and Green Salsa.

Remove and discard casing from chorizo. Heat a medium skillet over high heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium, and crumble chorizo into skillet. Brown 6 - 8 minutes, stirring to separate. Remove with slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.

Preheat oven to 450F. Mix cheese in bowl.

Place tortillas on baking sheet (use more than one if necessary). Divide chorizo evenly between tortillas, leaving 1/2 inch from edge of tortilla uncovered. Sprinkle cheeses over top.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes until edges are crisp and golden brown, and cheese is melted.

Transfer to serving plates, and cut each tortilla into 6 wedges. Sprinkle with Red and Green Salsa.

Red and Green Salsa

1 small red bell pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
3 green onions, sliced thin
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 Tbl fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt

Cut bell pepper lengthwise in half, remove seeds and veins. Cut halves lengthwise into thin strips, cut strips in half. Mix all ingredients in bowl. Let stand, covered, at room temperature for 1-2 hours before serving, to blend flavors.

4 comments:

MrOrph said...

This is going into the rotation for week night dishes.

Did you use Spanish or Mexican chorizo?

'Chef' said...

Hi MrOrph!
I hope you'll het me know how you like them! Most of the time, I use the Spanish chorizo now, since I'm lucky enough to have a great source for them. ;-) Originally, though, I used the Mexican variety available at my local grocery store. We do prefer the Spanish, but both are good!

MrOrph said...

I get my chorizo from La Tienda (.com). I used to buy it locally and it was the Mexican variety. I think I prefer the Spanish. The Mexican variety, to me, was too crumbly and the taste seemed a bit pungent. I used it in a sweet potato soup and it over powered it.

I will definitely let you know by linking back.

test it comm said...

These sound good! I really like those fresh Chorizo sausages.

ss_blog_claim=b582e7f83aad3873024404a494390582