This dish is best prepared the night before serving, to allow the eggplant to absorb the wonderful flavor of the sauce. To serve as a finger food with cocktails, roll up eggplant slices, and secure with toothpick.
* 6 small, or 3 medium eggplants
* Extra virgin olive oil
* 6-8 fresh oregano leaves, minced
* 2 cloves garlic. peeled
* 4 or 5 anchovy fillets, drained
* 1/4 tsp hot red chili pepper flakes
* 4 or 5 sprigs fresh parsley
* 3 Tbl balsamic vinegar
* Fresh basil leaves for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cut eggplant into 1/4 thick rounds. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with oregano. Bake, turning once, until soft, 10-20 minutes.
3. Place garlic, anchovies, hot red pepper, and parsley in a food processor or blender. Add 3 Tbl olive oil and the vinegar - puree.
4. Arrange eggplant slices on serving plate and pour sauce over them. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours. (overnight is even better)
5. Let dish come to room temperature before serving. Garnish with basil leaves.