Fusilli (corkscrew) pasta is the best pasta to be served with this dish, although any short pasta may be used.
* 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1 medium onion, minced
* 1 medium garlic clove, minced
* 1 lb fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped, or 1 lb drained canned tomatoes, chopped
* 1 cup black olives, or 1/3 cup each black and green olives, halved and pitted
* 2 Tbl capers, drained and rinsed
* 2 tsp red wine vinegar
* 2 Tbl fresh oregano, or 2 tsp dried
* Pinch of sugar
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 lb fusilli pasta or other short macaroni
* 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
# Heat oil, onion, and garlic in a large skillet and cook over moderately low heat until softened but not browned, 6-8 minutes.
# Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, vinegar, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Be careful with the salt since olives and capers are salty.
# Cook the fusilli in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente (firm to the bite). Drain and mix with the sauce. Sprinkle on the cheese and serve immediately with additional cheese on the side if desired.