This sauce is perfect for those times when you are in hurry, but still want to serve a tasty meal. Goes especially well when served over Penne or Ziti pastas.
* 6 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
* 1 small eggplant (about 1 lb) trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
* 1 small (6 oz) can tomato paste
* 1/4 cup chopped green olives
* 1 Tbl capers, rinsed and drained
* 1 Tbl fresh basil, chopped
* 1 Tbl fresh parsley, chopped
* 2 tsp red wine vinegar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* black pepper to taste
* pinch of sugar
1. Heat 4 Tbl olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat, add eggplant. Saute, stirring constantly, until eggplant is tender and browned, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
2. Add remaining 2 Tbl oil to skillet. Stir in eggplant, tomato paste, olives, capers, basil, parsley, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. Cover and summer 5 minutes. Toss hot pasta with sauce and serve immediately.